Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Better'n Peanut Butter



Okay, so I'm a huge fan of peanut butter... Like huge. I eat a peanut butter & honey sandwich almost every day for lunch, I love it on bananas, toast, in protein shakes, and to the end of the earth and back.
I LOVE peanut butter! My problem with peanut butter is the fat. :(  I know, I know it's a healthy fat when you eat it in moderation. None the less, I often find myself choosing other snacks to avoid eating it for a second time during the day.

Every now and then I hear about an alternative to my creamy favorite, and I run out to try and find it. Usually this ends in disappointment. Like the time that I paid $5 for a jar of calorie free whipped "peanut" spread that tasted like what could only be described as rotting wet cardboard. Yuck!

So recently I saw an ad for Better'n Butter, and I ran out to find it. It boasts 85% less fat (2g per serving), only 100 calories, is made from peanuts, and defatted peanut flour etc... I saw that they sell it at Trader Joes and Target. My first stop was to Target, and I saw that it was $5.99 a jar. I thought Trader Joes may have it cheaper, so next stop Trader Joes, and they had it for $4.49. Score!

My thoughts on the spread is that it's pretty good!  I substituted it on my sandwich for lunch, and could taste a difference for sure, but it was still very good. It tastes enough like the natural peanut butters that I buy, and I think it's worth the money for me. I will still feed the family regular peanut butter, but I'm happy with this for now. I also think it will be great for cooking, but that's for another day. They also have a chocolate peanut spread, and if I can find that somewhere my life will be complete. ;)

PS. I have also heard really great things about PB2 for a peanut butter substitute, but they don't sell it in my area yet. I would love to know if you have tried it!

              ~Betsy

2 comments:

  1. I love peanut butter too, especially when it's in a Reese's peanut butter cup! lol

    April sent me your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My favorite candy! Especially the Easter Reese's peanut butter eggs. :)
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete